The purpose of the Society is to promote the works of Gilbert & Sullivan by organising relevant events. The Society is not a choir and we don’t ask our members to sing – unless they want to!
What are out activities?
- Arrange professional concerts of Gilbert & Sullivan music in the area
- Organise trips to professional performances of Gilbert & Sullivan operas
- Give amateur productions of Gilbert & Sullivan operas by association members
- Run Gilbert & Sullivan singing workshops for the association
- Set up a website with information on both the Society and Gilbert & Sullivan
- Provide regular participative events for members eg. singalongs, music talks, quizzes, video film screenings, etc.
What's in it for me?
- The Society offers music lovers an excellent opportunity to socialise in English and enjoy quality classical music.
- Those of you who enjoy singing as a hobby would have the chance to have lots of fun learning memorable and humorous music with other fans of Gilbert & Sullivan at the singalongs and other musican events.
- Fans of amateur dramatics would have the chance to participate creatively in stage productions of the Gilbert & Sullivan operas.
- Membership of the Society entitles you to a substantial reduction on the cost of entry to The Gilbert & Sullivan Society events as well as reductions for some other Gilbert & Sullivan productions.
- In addition, of course, you will receive the Society’s regular newsletter and invitations to all the musical and social functions which we arrange throughout the year.
How can I join?
You can become a member and take part in our varied programme of events at members’ prices.
Membership categories and fees are:
- CHF 40 per year – Standard individual membership
- CHF 20 per year – Young-person membership
(Persons aged 25 or younger on July 1st qualify for the young-person membership rate for the next 12 months.)
Membership fee covers the year from 1 July to 30 June the following year. New members joining between 1 January and 31 March pay CHF 20 (young people, CHF 10) for the remainder of the year. New members joining after 31 March pay the full annual fee, but their membership is valid until 30 June the following year. Payment can be made directly into the following Swiss postal account:
«The Gilbert & Sullivan Society Basel»
c/o Stephan Arthur
Postal Account number: 40-333742-6
IBAN: CH20 0900 0000 4033 3742 6
Member of the Board & Team
Stephan V. Arthur
President & Treasurer
Board member & Minutes
Johanna MacLeod Honegger